April 2nd, 2009 12:54 PM by Caren McCourt-Crane
The annual spring cleanup is scheduled for Saturday, April 4, 2009. Keep Midland Beautiful will sponsor this citywide fun event. Show your community spirit & join other concerned citizens. Lunch will be provided from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. for all registered volunteers at Hogan Park. As usual, we'll also provide trash bags, safety vests, and gloves.
Help Midland remove litter – Enjoy a clean community!
We, here at McCourt Real Estate, are so proud to live in such a wonderful community that takes great pride, ownership and responsibility in keeping our community clean.
Keep Midland Beautiful Receives Prestigious State Environmental Award
Community One of Nine Governor’s Community Achievement Award Winners
Keep Texas Beautiful announced Keep Midland Beautiful as one of nine winners of the 2009 Governor’s Community Achievement Award (GCAA) for outstanding community improvement. The honor recognizes Keep Midland Beautiful with one of the most celebrated annual environmental and community improvement awards in Texas. The winners will share $1 million in landscape grants from the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT). Keep Midland Beautiful will receive $155,000 for a landscaping project along a local state right-of-way.
Communities submitted materials to one of nine population categories and judges chose the winners based on their achievements in seven environmental and community improvement areas: community leadership and coordination, education, public awareness, litter prevention and cleanup, illegal dumping enforcement, beautification and property improvement, and solid waste management.
The accomplishments for Keep Midland Beautiful for 2008:
Keep Midland Beautiful educates and engages Midlanders in litter prevention, beautification and waste management.
AWARDS RECEIVED IN 2008
* Sustained Excellence & Gold Star Award from Keep Texas Beautiful
* President’s Circle Recognition Award from Keep America Beautiful
* 407 organized cleanups
* 19,459 total volunteer hours
* 2,375 total tons of trash/debris removed through cleanups
* 469 tons of large items removed from alleyways
* 8,650 total number of participants in the Don’t Mess With Texas Trash Off, Make A Difference Day Annual Cleanup & Pick Up Some Trash for Cash
* Almost 98 tons of trash/debris removed at the Don’t Mess With Texas Trash Off, Make A Difference Day Annual Cleanup & Pick Up Some Trash for Cash
* 2,832 television minutes
* 3,498 radio minutes
* 2,454 total column inches of newspaper/magazine
* 54,000 total number of brochures/pamphlets distributed regarding mission items
* 214 total number of workshops/talks/presentations
* 159 total number of community events with KMB presence
* 1,600 vehicle litter bags & 1,000 pocket ashtrays distributed at area outlets
* Litter index delivers rating of 1.8 out of 4 (1 being best)
* 11,675 “hits” to KMB's website
* 178 – 15 gallon and 30 gallon trees planted at public parks
* Cost/Benefit analysis reveals a $1:7 return
* Trio of Gardens shares gardening tips with over 700 citizens
* 3,571 TONS of cardboard, aluminum, plastic, newsprint, and mixed paper
* 500 cars bring recyclables to Texas Recycles Day (1 every 30 seconds)
* Over 44 tons of computer EWaste kept from landfill at Texas Recycles Day
* 115 attended meeting to teach backyard composting by TAS/KMB
* Assemblies provided to 11 schools by "Environmental Entertainers"
* 14 schools collect over 27 tons of phone books for recycling
* 500 Water Awareness Kits distributed to promote conservation
* KTB & KAB Annual Conferences attended by Board Members & Staff